Friday, September 6, 2013

CFC 114: Back to School

Welcome to my first post as a Girl Friday! The theme is back to school and here is what I have for you all...


I tried my hand at staging. This is WAY harder than it looks. All I had on hand for this scene is an old apple and a paper bag which I like to have on hand for field trip days where the kids have to have everything disposable. 

I took my photo the exact same way, on a kitchen barstool next to my dining room window, but it took 3 different attempts to get this shot. the placement of the items is so important, it can throw the whole scene off! I love the effect of staged photos but they are really hard to do. What do you think? 





I had a working mom and she also was from Afghanistan so she didn't really write notes on napkins for us. We were the kids with weird chicken sandwiches in our lunches that had a strong ethnic smell but tasted yummy. For this kid wishing she could just have peanut butter and jelly, it was torture watching the other kids get little wrapped snacks and notes in their paper bag lunch boxes or even to buy lunch! My parents never let me buy lunch!

So I thought it might be fun to put something special in my kids lunches for fun. Now that 2 of them can read, there are more options :) I created a joke journaling card. The front has the design and the back has an area to write a note or a joke!


I masked the apple using masking film and stamped the zig zag. ( the stamp was a gift from my sweet and talented blogging friend Angeline) Then I removed the mask and stamped the apple, colored with copics.

our sponsor:
Challenge ends 9/19/2013


The Design Team:
Alice
Amy
Deb
Emilie
Jingle
Jocelyn
Kelly
Leigh Ann
Lindsay
Lorena
Mayuri
Sanketi
Sylvia


Supplies all from i {heart} papers:
Die: Paper Smooches notebook die
Other: copics, masking film




29 comments:

  1. What a sweet mum you are ! Gorgeous idea and gorgeous little cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fun idea and super cute project, Wida!! And your staged photo looks fantastic! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a joke my husband would love, and so would my five year old.

    I can't wait until Emma can read well enough for me to write notes like this - and I love that you did it in a stampy way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute and fun! your little notes just made me smile :)
    Welcome to the CFC team, Wida
    Sylvia xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on being a Girl Friday! I agree with the staging...too hard, but I like your start, much better than anything I could've come up with. The apple and brown bag definitely say school! Love your idea on journaling joke cards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, that's the only joke I could ever remember the punchline to! I love the Ida of putting little joke cards in the lunch bags, and these cards are so cute! Staging is hard - you don't always have appropriate props, but I love what you've done here. And congrats on the Girl Friday thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are such a fun mom! Your kids' lunches will be the envy of their classmates with those fun cards. Enjoy being a Girl Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this sure is a wonderful way to make your kid's lunches special. sooooo cute! welcome to the team, Wida! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i had to laugh - we always had really yummy arab or greek food for lunch too. have you ever watched "my big fat greek wedding"? the part where she goes to school with her moussaka - that was us. but then I made friends with the indian kids and their food was just as smelly :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute . . . I totally would have snuck in little notes like that into my kids lunch boxes when they were younger.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is adorable, Wida. Almost (but not really) makes me wish I had remembered to have kids...
    Afghani food....mmmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for the new Girl Friday!!! So happy you joined the team, Wida! The lunch box notes are adorable, and I loved reading about the yummy tasting sandwiches your mother made :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The best lunches were mom's homemade bread with thinly sliced leftover meatloaf tucked inside... I still remember those after all these years. Your little ones might not remember all the foods, but they'll sure remember these little notes. What a sweet mommy! And your staging is perfect for the notes! I don't do it, because it IS too hard!!! LOL Bev

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are adorable...love your photography, staging and titling of you photos....looks so cool! So happy to see you over at the CASual Fridays blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Woot woot Wida! What a fantastic card for you first Girl Friday card! Those little lunchbox notes are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute! We ate weird food too, and so does Ellie, at least a little bit. But it's her choice when I make her those kinds of sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG, how cute and perfect school note with a fun little joke!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Totally stealing your idea! So Fab!! Love your notes, and your staging ... way to amp up your first Girl Friday post ... you've set the bar high now : )

    PS. saw your FB post on blogging goals, and I was going to reply, but everyone had gone to bed already. Yes, it was 3 in the morning : )

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so sweet, Wida! And I love your staging! I always like the look of staging, but yeah, it seems like a lot of work....

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful fun thing to do! The little cards are soooo sweet and crisp. Welcome Gal Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely staging Wida and welcome to the CFC team!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aww you're such a sweet Mum! Cute apples and love the staging too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Excellent first GF posting at CFC, Wida!! Just think how wonderful you are making your own kids' lunches with these adorable and funny notes! They will most certainly not once be "wishing" for their circumstances to be different, which means when they are your age, they will talk about their amazing creative mom and how she made lunchtime fun!! Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  24. hehe - cute, I was gunna say "carrot top" he's bright orange and also sounds like a parrot :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations for being part of the GFT! Love your idea here. I believe your children will have a good lunch and a good laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. On the same brainwave I see. :) I just love the joke idea! My son would so get a kick out of it. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  27. So cute! You're such a great mama! The staging looks fabulous too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by...